Posting Pappy or any Van Winkle

Forums » ***RULES***

Posting Pappy or any Van Winkle

• 78 posts
    March 20, 2017 11:49 AM PDT
    1. In order to sell any Van Winkle, you must provide clear, well-lit photos and close-ups of laser codes and foil tops. At least 4 photos are required!
    • Entire front of bottle
    • Entire back of bottle
    • clear entire laser code
    • closeup of foil top with ruler right beside the foil

Photos of foil tops must include a clear close up of a ruler measuring the exact length of the foil top.

Posts without the above will be deleted and poster banned.

This is to aid all members in reducing any counterfeit bottles on here. 

This post was edited by admin at June 15, 2017 2:48 PM PDT
    • 1 posts
    December 1, 2018 7:43 PM PST

I believe that my posting for VW complies with your guidelines where applicable.  Laser codes were not instituted until 2007.  I am selling a 2005  23YO and a 2005 15YO - neither of which have a date code - but both have distinguishing characteristics that are even more difficult to duplicate than a laser code.

The 2005 Pappy 23 has a Wax Cap with strip, a distinctive label with hand numbering and a bottle tag (not numbered).  The 2005 Pappy FR 15 YO has raised letting on the label and in my case, it was actually received from JVW III who signed it.  Faking the bottle, raised letering and his signature would be a masterstroke of forgery.

I'd be happy to provide more pictures if you'd like or anything else to establish my credibilty as a seller.

I'm a Certified Fraud Examiner and Licensed CPA.  I have sold over $70,000 though Skinner Auctions who will vouch for me and the provenance of my collection - and have had a perfect eBay score since 1999.  I am raising money for a friend by selling some of my collection - and the next Skinner Auction isn't until January 30, 2019.

• 8 posts
    December 2, 2018 1:25 PM PST

Selling bottles on skinner auction and having a perfect score on ebay is not enough. No one here knows you, and you have zero transactions. References from other members here, or from other FB groups that we are familiar with would help, but if it were up to me, I would ask that the funds be put in an escrow, with one of the mods or admin to hold until the bottle is delivered to whomever may want to buy it. After the bottle is delivered, then the funds would be transferred to you. Other that this, I would suggest what Mark already said, and sell some lesser valued bottles first in order to build some trust. You being a fraud examiner should understand the concerns here.